KEXP’s Online Team is looking for a great Software Developer to help us shape the next generation of experiences for KEXP listeners. The ideal candidate has a strong background in PHP/Drupal, agile software development, and the ability to work at all levels of our technology stack. As a developer on our small, fast moving team, you will get to work on a wide variety of projects from developing a new CMS platform to shaping listener experiences across all of our digital distribution platforms, helping music-lovers and artists feel engaged in the KEXP Community and championing music and discovery. This is a regular full-time, exempt position.
KEXP is a Seattle-based non-commercial radio station and website that produces an award-winning, innovative blend of music that promotes discovery among its worldwide audience. With a library of more than 35,000 CDs and 12,000 records, KEXP’s 45 DJs and content producers have the creative authority to curate their own shows and produce broadcast and online content music discovery experiences in rock, hip hop, electronic, country, blues, world, and more.
The compensation is competitive and the benefits are generous. KEXP’s studios are located in the South Lake Union area of Seattle.
Please see below for complete job description and qualifications.
Online Reports to:
Chief EngineerFLSA Status:
The KEXP Software Developer, in concert with the other Online team members, is responsible for developing a superior set of online services geared towards the discovery of music and artists. The Software Developer collaborates with their colleagues to oversee the building and maintenance of KEXP.ORG, other KEXP websites, mobile apps, and other web-related projects for KEXP, as well as supporting senior KEXP staff in managing and leveraging partnerships with outside technology organizations.Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
General Organizational Responsibilities:
- Develops end-to-end online services for KEXP listeners.
- Builds high-fidelity web-based user interfaces, tools, and prototypes.
- Applies agile project management principles to implement user stories and experiences.
- Attends and participates in daily scrum; contributes ideas, expertise, and troubleshooting input to Online team projects.
- Collaborates with other members of the Online team and with other KEXP departments to develop user stories related to product development.
- Ensures software development standards, and industry best practices are followed.
- Responsible for maintaining a deep knowledge base of all current web development and programming technology, and for researching and exploring new technologies as they evolve.
- Provides technical support for online applications, databases, and administrative tools, including bug fixes and other support as needed.
- Maintains thorough understanding of KEXP organizational policies, including employee handbook; follows policies and leads by example.
- Ensures that all expenditures under the Software Developer purview are in line with and reported according to KEXP policies; meets all fiscal reporting deadlines as set forth by organization, including the timely submission of expense reports by self and all direct reports (if applicable).
- Manages payroll submission for self and all direct reports (if applicable) in compliance with KEXP policies, including timely submission of payroll for processing and arranging appropriate coverage of payroll obligations while out of office.
- Assists with other organizational activities as directed.
Position reports to the Chief Engineer Supervision Exercised:
Third-party developers, volunteers, and interns receive functional supervision from this position.Educational Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and/or Engineering and two or more years of related professional experience managing and developing custom web services, web sites, and streaming solutions; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.Position Qualifications:
- Real world experience building highly scalable web applications.
- Experience creating responsive websites.
- Experience building Drupal 7 and related modules.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Agile Software Development principles and practices.
- Profiicent knowledge, understanding, and experience of C#, the .NET Framework, MVC, LINQ, ADO.NET, T-SQL, JSON, and RESTful technologies.
- Experience in resolving cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Knowledge of working with and administering the LAMP stack.
- Understanding of issues related to delivering music online.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule, evenings or Saturday as needed, and additional hours during peak times or as required. Some out of town/overnight travel may be required.
- Outstanding attention to detail, documentation, and commitment to maintaining confidentiality.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and use independent judgment within established policy and procedural guidelines.
- Strong self-motivation and independence in carrying out responsibilities, organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks, and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain awareness and understanding of the objective(s) during project or task execution.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, relationship-building, and communication skills - both written and verbal - which transcend diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, as well as provide consistent, high-quality service to a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation, and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Deep knowledge, appreciation for, and understanding of KEXP programming and mission.
- Ability to embody the community-oriented spirit of KEXP to both internal and external constituents.
- The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to such policies.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Compensation & Benefits: KEXP offers competitive compensation (DOE) and a generous benefits package which includes medical/dental/vision coverage, participation in retirement plan options, and much more.